Let’s face it; we all know that eating healthy not only enhances our quality of life. But did you know that choosing healthy mid-day snacks could actually combat your cravings for sweets? That’s right, not only will healthy snacks help bad temptations be ignored, but you’ll also feel full and your metabolism will continue to go strong, increasing the number of calories you are burning.
While trying to maintain a healthy diet its important to remember that in order to prevent large dinner portions, you need to avoid long periods of not eating. That’s right, looking at the clock and thinking ‘diner is only two hours away – I guess I will just wait’, is in fact sabotaging the amount of dinner you consume. Instead of holding off, grab a healthy mid-day snack that is rich in fiber and protein. Whole grains, yogurt, nuts, fruit, vegetables, and legumes will keep you satisfied and keep your body burning calories. Especially when the majority of us are at our most sluggish, mid-day!
According to recent studies, blood sugar dips three to five hours after eating, causing our bodies to natural feel tired and run down as well as slowing down our metabolism. Eating small, frequent snacks will help normalize blood sugar and keep your metabolism going strong. Some great, quick, and easy healthy mid-day snacks include:
- Celery with Natural Peanut Butter – this combination is packed with vitamins, minerals, and healthy unsaturated fats, the peanut butter will also help with cravings since it contains fiber for healthy digestion.
- Sliced Cucumbers with Yogurt – this healthy mid-day snack provides a serving of milk and cultures, which will help keep you going in the later afternoon.
- Pumpkin Seeds – unsalted of course, but these little babies are packed full of magnesium, which strengthens bones, improves circulation, and helps to alleviate excess water retention, leaving you feeling less bloated.
- Sweet and Spicy Cashews – the spicier – the more calories you’ll be burning! Cashews have a lower fat content then other nuts, approximately 82% of their fat is unsaturated fatty acids, and 66% of that content is heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, similar to those found in olive oil.
- Mozzarella String Cheese – this on the run snack will supply you with a fifth of your daily calcium, and daily calcium can actually increase the number of calories being digested.
Remember, half the battle to maintaining a healthy diet is proper planning. Make sure you plan ahead and have easy, quick access to healthy mid-day snacks that will help you avoid those sluggish late afternoon hours and keep your dinner portions to a healthy size.